Re: Large-scale java policy violations

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 12:29:35PM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:

> Okay.  Note that java policy states that "Libraries packages must be named
> lib-XXX-java."
>
> Below we see an approximate list of all java library packages available in
> debian.  One observes that more than *half* of them are named
> "libXXX-java"
> instead of "lib-XXX-java".  We even see libpgjava with no dashes
> whatsoever.
>
> Does this bother anyone else but me?

Yes it bothers me too. What bothers me more is that someone (I
do not remember who) told me that I should name my package
libxalan2-java instead of lib-xalan2-java. Well that is a old
thing.

I suggest that we name the packages libfoo-java or in some
cases libfoo-version-java if that are necessary.

Is that ok if I change the policy in that way?

Regards,

// Ola

> Ben.
>
> bab@espresso:~> apt-cache pkgnames lib | grep -e java$ | sort
> lib-dom-java
> lib-editline-java
> lib-fop-java
> lib-gnu.getopt-java
> lib-gnu.regexp-java
> lib-openxml-java
> lib-readline-java
> lib-rxtx-java
> lib-sax-java
> lib-saxon-java
> lib-xp-java
> lib-xslp-java
> lib-xt-java
> libbcel-java
> libbsf-java
> libcommons-beanutils-java
> libcommons-collections-java
> libcommons-digester-java
> libcommons-java
> libcrimson-java
> libdom-java
> libjaxp-java
> libjdom-java
> libldap-java
> liblogkit-java
> liboro-java
> libpgjava
> libpja-java
> libregexp-java
> libsax-java
> libservlet2.2-java
> libsoap-java
> libwerken.xpath-java
> libxalan-java
> libxalan2-java
> libxerces-java

And there are a number of packages that does not have
the -java ending at all.

junit
liblog4j (that is my fault, sorry I'll change it)
more?

Regards,

// Ola