Re: Packages that require Java 2 ?

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Ben Burton wrote:

> > java2-virtual-machine/dummy packages would help settle dependancies for non
> > Debian packaged JDK's, java2 compliant Debian packages could 'provide'
> > this. We could then 'depend' on it.
> > ,,,
> > ... perhaps we should introduce java2 in /etc/alternatives ?
>
> FWIW, I like both of these ideas.

	Thanks.

> I think the package should still provide java-virtual-machine and offer an
> alternative for /etc/java also.

	Do you mean that the java2-virtual-machine-dummy package should also
	provide java-virtual-machine ? hmm... should it then 'conflict' with
	java-virtual-machine-dummy (if it provides java-virtual-machine) as
	they would both try to manage the same thing ?

> Is this leading to too much clutter?  I've never really done packaging for
> apps that provide alternatives.

	I'm sure if we think everything through beforehand the clutter will be
	manageable, essentially we're just trying to handle two different
	versions of java kits separately.

	I wonder if the java-policy authors have any comments/thoughts on the
	subject ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&: