Debian bug 120636: New upstream version available (4.0.1)

Per http://bugs.debian.org/120636 --

> New upstream release, still implementing the Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
> APIs (closes: #120636). Tomcat 4.0 currently can't be packaged because
> it depends on non-free JARs from Sun.

I am curious about the problem referenced about Tomcat 4.0 not being able
to be packaged because it depends upon non-free JAR files from Sun.

I am surprised that the Apache Project would allow something like this?

I would appreciate more specific information about this issue.

-- Mike