Re: switch to texlive breaks japanese output?

Hi,

jlatex has different arrangements for dvi file, and you will need some
tweaking to get it working with advi.  jlatex tries to fit in Kanji
codes with the 8 bit architecture of latex with shuffling fonts
around, which you probably don't really want to know the detail of.
dvi output from platex works okay with advi.

No idea why you are trying to achieve with playing with vflib3, so I
can't tell.

At Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:59:11 +0900 (JST),
Goldman Jesse wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Thanks for your note. If I use platex instead, there is
> a *slight* improvement in the sense that advi will
> properly interpret the .dvi
> file (this doesn't happen with jlatex). advi has built-in
> fonts I believe which highlights your point that jlatex
> just isn't outputting a proper .dvi file at all. dvi2ps
> and dvips still have troubles interacting with vflib3 so I
> suppose I can assume the texlive distribution for japanese
> is currently (and hopefully temporarily) broken. I'll
> figure out an alternative. Thanks again!
>
>    Jesse
>
> --- Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > At Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:58:09 +0900 (JST),
> > Goldman Jesse wrote:
> > >

> > > Having recently upgraded my unstable debian
> > distribution,
> > > I notice that the old tetex package has been
> > replaced by
> > > texlive and, at the same time, I am no longer able
> > > produce japanese tex output. After some effort
> > I've
> > > managed to get jlatex to *process* the text but
> > there
> > > seems to be no way to display it. The basic
> > problems are:
> > >
> > > 1) xdvi-ja immediately segmentation faults when
> > opening a
> > > processed file. kdvi opens it but says it's
> > corrupted
> > > (op-code 129). So perhaps jlatex is broken but I'm
> > not
> > > sure why.

You may want to file bugs to the appropriate packages with exact error
messages.

> > > 2) dvipsk-ja runs into a virtual recursion error
> > (this
> > > always happened though, so perhaps I should stick
> > > dvi2ps which usually works fine but....)

Is this related ?

> > > 3) dvi2ps calls vflib3 which claims it cannot find
> > the
> > > fonts ("min" in this case). This may be because
> > the file
> > > is corrupted to begin with.

Sounds more like configuration problem, but you probably want to be
concise about what you did.