Re: Recent upgrade in Lenny botched CJK fonts

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 14:20 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le lundi 08 décembre 2008 à 07:57 +0900, Adam C Powell IV a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 23:07 +0100, Thomas PARIS wrote:
> > > On Mon Dec  8 at 05:24 (+0900), Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I think we might have the same problem.  I'm running unstable and many
> > > non-ascii characters are not displayed anymore (instead, the character
> > > code is shown, as if the non-ascii fonts were missing, which they're
> > > not).
> >
> > Yes, sounds like the same problem.
>
> > Thanks.  I just found 2.6.0-1 on snapshot.debian.net and downgraded to
> > it (fontconfig, fontconfig-config, libfontconfig1(-dev)), but that
> > didn't improve things, even after a gdm restart.  Perhaps something
> > changed in the configuration?
>
> Yes, the only thing that changed between 2.6.0-1 and 2.6.0-3 is the
> configuration: bitmap fonts are now entirely disabled by default - as
> they should have always been.
>
> If some CJK fonts are missing on your system, you should simply install
> the corresponding ttf-* font packages.

Thanks, that did it.

This seems like a very significant change this long after the freeze,
which could make a lot of users unhappy.  A few issues:
      * Is it prominent in the release notes?
      * Will the release managers accept changes to packages, e.g. *-ja
        packages adding "Suggests: ttf-japanese-gothic" or -mincho?
      * Where are the old bitmap fonts so I can get rid of them?
        They're nowhere in my debfoster list, so packages must still
        depend on them.  Can we get rid of dependencies on old bitmap
        fonts before the Lenny release as well, so it's obvious to users
        that they're no longer needed?

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/