Japanese typing hosed

Hi all,

Not sure what happened (or what I did), but Japanese typing isn't converting correctly anymore on my Debian testing system.

I'm currently show running:
/usr/sbin/cannaserver -u canna
/usr/bin/Wnn4/jserver
/usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2-canna-wnn -canna -xim
uim-helper-server

And I have the following in my ~/.xsession file:
export XMODIFIERS=@im=scim
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
scim&

When I type go to Japanese typing mode (shift-space in my case) anything I type is converted immediately (no
kanji selection drop down), and it's mojibake.

Example.  If I type bennkyou, 量ヤ井急 is outputted.

My only guess is that I hit some keyboard shortcut to change the input mode I'm using, but I'm not really sure what has
happened.

Any ideas?  Thanks for reading!
Eric P