Re: Using Japanese in LaTeX

Hi.

In <[🔎] 87n0gtwlvs.fsf@snail.pool>,
  on 08 Jun 2003 00:41:59 +0200,
 David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> wrote:

>> Sorry, I realize my past message was horribly undetailed.  I am
>> running debian unstable, dist-upgraded as of the time this message is
>> being written.  I tried the example in your other message, and I get
>> the same problem, specifically that japanese characters do not show up
>> at all in xdvi-ja.  In the example attached, "English" shows up in
>> xdvi-ja, but the japanese does not.
>
> According to what my package information say, my xdvi-ja was installed
> from package `xdvik-ja', which uses vflib2 for font rendering.  And I
> think, the fonts which vflib2 uses on my system come from packages
> `ttf-kochi-gothic', `ttf-kochi-mincho'.  I'm not sure how vflib2 is
> configured to find those fonts.  Might be done through Defoma, it worked
> without interaction with my Debian Woody 3.0.  Your problem might be
> that unstable just does what the name tells ;-)

I'm using unstable/sid, and did apt-get update yesterday.
My system has xdvi-ja from xdvik-ja package, and your
example (test.tex) file is processed fine with jlatex
and is shown correctly with xdvi-ja.

My /etc/vfontcap has these lines at the head:

min:\
        :fc=debian-vfont-Mincho:
goth:\
        :fc=debian-vfont-Gothic:

minsl:\
        :fc=debian-vfont-Mincho-italic:

gothsl:\
        :fc=debian-vfont-Gothic-italic:

These lines are written in /etc/vfont/00vflib2, and
merged into /etc/vfontcap using /usr/sbin/update-vfontcap.

My system has also /var/lib/defoma/vflib2.d/vfontcap,
and it has these lines at the end:

### Debian GeneralFamily Font
debian-vfont-Mincho:\
 :fc=KochiMincho-Regular:

debian-vfont-Mincho-italic:\
 :fc=KochiMincho-Regular-italic:

debian-vfont-Gothic:\
 :fc=KochiGothic-Regular:

debian-vfont-Gothic-italic:\
 :fc=KochiGothic-Regular-italic:

And I think this file is created by postinst of vflib2
using "defoma-app update vflib2" automatically.

Here is the output from "dpkg -l ttf-kochi-* vflib2 defoma":

ii  ttf-kochi-goth 0.2.20020727-2 Kochi Gothic Japanese TrueType font without
pn  ttf-kochi-goth <none>         (no description available)
ii  ttf-kochi-minc 0.2.20020727-2 Kochi Mincho Japanese TrueType font without
pn  ttf-kochi-minc <none>         (no description available)
ii  vflib2         2.25.1-16      Vector Font Library for Japanese Character C
ii  defoma         0.11.1         Debian Font Manager -- automatic font config

Good Luck.
--
  Taketoshi Sano: <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>