Re: Using Japanese in LaTeX

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 01:05:06PM +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
> Did you read the mail about jlatex that I sent some days ago?  "japanese
> characters do not show up in the output" is not a very accurate problem
> description.  Which output?  DVI, converted PS?  Which Viewers do you
> use for DVI/PS?  It should only be a matter of getting the right font
> packages installed.  Can you post a minimum example file which does not
> work correctly with your system?  BTW which version of Debian you're
> using?

Sorry, I realize my past message was horribly undetailed.
I am running debian unstable, dist-upgraded as of the time this message
is being written.  I tried the example in your other message, and I get
the same problem, specifically that japanese characters do not show up
at all in xdvi-ja.  In the example attached, "English" shows up in
xdvi-ja, but the japanese does not.

\documentclass{jarticle}
\begin{document}
English