Re: multi-language debian

Well... perhaps my system is behaving weirdly...
explanations below..

> > how comes people can input japanese in iso-8859-1 encoded pages and have
> > their text readable by anyone,
>
> It is impossible.  ISO-8859-1 and EUC-JP (or Shift_JIS) are different
> character encodings.  In its definition, ISO-8859-1 text cannot include
> Japanese characters.
>
> If you want to mix characters from ISO-8859-1 character set and
> characters from JIS X 0208 character set (well, most of Japanese
> characters included in EUC-JP encoding), you will have to use UTF-8
> or ISO-2022.

Well then.... i may reckon that my browser (galeon) is not properly working
since last apt-get dist-upgrade (SID). However, no way to know what encoding
is uses on any page.
For example, take http://rose.ruru.ne.jp/multiplication/tomo/amis.html
Mozilla says "WESTERN (ISO-8859-15)" which is european charset + euro (?). And
though it is (told to be) 8859-15, i am able to see japanese!
my text in this page won t display correctly unless i swap to Shift_JIS
(look for "Adrien  (29/05/2003)" in this page)

> Note that EUC-JP or Shift_JIS include ASCII characters.  Thus, if
> you said "ASCII" instead of "ISO-8859-1", it is possible.
>
> I hope you understand the difference between ASCII and ISO-8859-1.
> If not, please tell me.
>
> > though when i do so, i have to manually select
> > shift_JIS in my browser in order to read the text i input before?
>
> If your file was well shown by choosing Shift_JIS, I imagine you
> didn't use ISO-8859-1 (above 0xa0) characters.
>
> There is a way to specify encoding of the web page.
>
> <HEAD>
>   <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=foobar">
> </HEAD>
>
> Please put valid encoding name for "foobar".  Please download
> http://www.debian.org/index.ja.html and research the source.
>
> > and why when i watch the sources, thei text show up as #1234567 whereas
> > mine seems to be lots of ???‘O???A?h???A?“?????I“??{????? or really nice
> > chars if you seem what i mean...
>
> What you mean?  I am afraid your mail is broken....

Well not it isn t as it is what i sent :/
I really mean weird characters such as letters with accents (not only vowels),
and squares with four 0 or 1 in in as when i see a webpage from korea....

> Please see http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/ .

It seems that every thing that i use is japanese compliant...

Adrien.
アドリアン

PS: Mail sent in ISO-2022-jp to see if you can see the kanas of my name.

--
Les paroles sinceres sont rarement elegantes
Les paroles elegantes sont rarement sinceres