Re: Japanese locale configuration (was: debian-jp)

i have been stuck with a problem, and no time to solve it, for a while now and it is about time i get some clarifications about what i should be doing about it...

i don't have x. when i want to work in japanese i run kon and all the little things i need (mutt-ja for ex) and everything works perfectly.

now the issue is when i quit kon, i am back to a normal console my bash prompt etc but now i want to be able to read my french mail (with mutt for ex).

question 1 (display related): is it possible to set the locales so that i don't get all those annoying '?' in my mutt mail and so that it does not bug kon ?

question 2 (keyboard related): i think i have read some litterature on the subject but even though i can work my canna thing and write beautiful things in japanese i am still stuck to a non accentuated way of typing french.

any help is more than welcome :)

cheers.

jc helary