Re: DNS- Mail Issue

Andre Lorenz wrote:
Hi,

I've several debian etch servers with latest updates running. This servers have public IP-addresses. on server a is my primary public DNS (YYY.Y.YYY.YYY) for serveral Domains running. This DNS is also apporved and verified by DENIC / INTERNIC / DTAG ..... on my second server with an other pub. IP (XXX.X.XXX.XXX) i've running a qmail-server for all Domains.

There is following problem:
If i send to diffent domains mail, i'm getting sometimes for some domains following error :

195.4.92.211 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 inconsistent or no DNS PTR record for XXX.X.XXX.XXX (see RFC 1912 2.1)
Giving up on 195.4.92.211.

in this case it is freenet that is causing the problem.

i've already checked my dns-setup for typos, or inconsistent entries but i cand find them. Does i need a special setup on ?
or could this be a qmail-problem.

Thanks for help.
Your DNS setup is not the problem. As far as I see you use a "dialup"-type of IP address to send mail. With that you have a very good chance of being blacklisted anyhow. Use the smarthost of your ISP to send mail or ask them to configure a correct PTR record for your IP address. Since it is not YOUR IP address, you cannot do anything and also this has nothing to do with your local DNS, I hope that is clear... (So what IS the PTR record anyway and why doesn't it match?? "dig -x <ip>")