Re: large campus network ... sugestions

2007/12/14, Tirla Adrian <tirlaadi@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I`m currently one of the network administrators of a 3000+ students
> and i have some issues maintaining security, authentication ... and
> quality of service ...
[...]

I brought similar  but "client" networks to life  (so the network were
more demanding -> clients!=students ;) ).

Not going into details I would use pppoe tunneling with radius authentication.
Radius can be easily managed by an external aplication and I believe
that it's scalability will let you connect it to the squid and so on.

Everything is VERY simple unless You start to migrate - I would
suggest You to build own simple app (C, C# ,java or something - ask
programmers at your campus ;) ) to build such app that it will create
a ppppoe connection under windows. Making scripts to notify everyone
that they have to use authentication/give U their macaddr is only a
routing here.

And - NO - pppoe is NOT unstable . I know DOZENS of success stories
with NO (i repeat - NO ) problems

regards

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;fl