Re: [OT] 19"/2U Cases

--On September 13, 2007 5:26:23 PM +0200 Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

Appropos GDT... I have replaced a broken 3Ware with a NEW (!!!) GDT6128RD
(bought in 04/2000) and Raidyne Firmware but I can not boot from my
connected CD-532S or CDR-55S to install Etch...

Do you know, whats going on here?

There's an option in the Raidyne FW/BIOS that you have to select to get CD-ROM booting enabled on the GDT's. Also you may have to change boot order settings in your motherboard BIOS as well.

Note:  Also I can configure only Raid-0 or Raid-1 (including Hotfix) if
       I have 5 Drives, but it does not let me select Raid-4 or Raid-5,
       where I prefer Raid-5+Hotfix

I can never recommend any software RAID for anything other than simple
mirrors, and then, always, with the caveat that it will be a bitch to
fix  if things go wrong, you probably won't lose data, but getting a
software  raid running again is often arcane, especially with MDRAID and
it's  frequent inability to correctly identify a failed drive (sometimes
the  fault of the SATA controller mind you).  BSDs vinum is little
better in  these regards.  And god forbid you lose your boot drive and
have forgotten  to keep all the boot blocks on your spare properly
updated.  you also have  to manually intervene and reorder drives in
that case, something hardware  raid, any hardware raid, will
transparently cover.

Question 1:

If you have an 3Ware 3W950x with 8 channels and because financel problems
you have only installed two Raid-1 (one on 0 and 1 and the second on 4 and
5) without Hotfix and want to add the Hotfix-drive no (later), how to do
this?

Question 2:

The same shit as Question 1, but for the GDT6128RD...   :-/

On both of them if you fire up the management utilities there's an 'add hot spare' option once you install a new drive.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

--
Michael Loftis
Modwest Operations Manager