Re: Managing hundreds of debian servers

Hi
grover mitchell schrieb:
Greetings list,

I am curious what other sysadmins use to manage hundreds of debian
servers, more specifically,  how do you control the
upgrade/installation of packages. I am familiar with cfengine, but we
currently use debian packages to deploy all our current conf files.
Some considerations would be;

 only deploying to specific servers at specific time ( to avoid all
web server being down, for example)

 being able to roll back if there was a problem in the code or
package

 the ability to deploy a new package at any given time

I do like the idea of using a pull based solution, rather than a push
based solution, but I do see situations where immediate releases need
to be done.

Any ideas or links to current resources?
Maybe m23 (http://m23.sourceforge.net/) is the thing you are looking for. I never used it myself but studied the manual a while ago. It looked quit promising to me.

Best regards

Bernd

--
Bernd Schuhmacher		Tel.: +49 06848/72144
Donaustraße 4			Fax: +49 06848/72145