Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On fre, juli 28, 2006 14:32, Craig Sanders wrote:

>> Yes, they can have whatever list they want and whoever can use it if
>> he wants to. But - if they claim they list dynamic IPs,they should
>> be able to prove that they are dynamic. It's like assuming I am the
>> murderer because of where I live, what colour I am, how do I dress and
>> so on...
>
> you can whinge and bitch and moan all you like, and it aint going to
> change a thing. ever. SORBS DUL lists dynamic IP addresses based on the
> best evidence available. people are going to use SORBS DUL even in spite
> of the occasional mistake. that's because the thousands - even millions
> - of spams and viruses that you can block using it far outweigh the tiny
> handful of legitimate mail that *might* come from dynamic address space.
> the amount of legitimate mail from dynamic addresses is negligible, a
> drop in the ocean, not even the faintest signal lost in all the noise.
>
> in short: DULs are a fact of life. they're not going to go away because
> you (or anyone else) don't like them. deal with it.
>
> craig
>
> --
> craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)

Enough about SORBS already!
This isn't a discussion anymore, it's a flame war, so I think the gain of
this thread is lost, but I have a couple of questions though:
When I put up my first mail-server some years ago I had problems sending
mail to servers using sorbs or other blacklists blocking non-static ip's,
but only until I found out I could use my isp's SMTP as a smart-host, this
seemed to solve that problem, or is it something I'm missing?
Is there any reason why your server needs to be a direct SMTP-server?

With the flame-level of this thread I'm probably gonna be shot down any
second, but as I don't have the experience-level when it comes to
mail-servers as some on this list I ask to learn...

Thanx..

Sturla