Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Craig Sanders wrote:

how is this proof that sorbs 'throws the baby out with the bathwater'?

The added a /21 of static IPs probably because some Windows Loser doesn't
know how to keep their machine virus free.

no, they added it because the dns records indicated that it was probably
dynamic. probably triggered by virus or spam as you suggest.

they de-listed it when shown evidence by the owner that it was
statically allocated.

so...what, exactly, is your problem with this scenario? looks like the
DUL working exactly as designed and exactly as documented.

You asked for proof of the baby being thrown out with the bath water.

I provided one. A /21 listed as being dynamic and then being delisted 17 days later because it was really static. (and from the ARIN rwhois - NON PORTABLE)

SORBS caused a problem for others and refused to quickly fix it.

DUHL is supposed to be a list of dynamic addresses, if an address is clearly not dynamic it should quickly be removed from the list.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=steveredlich.com

Shows a domain at this IP for over four years. My Colo Box doesn't even pass this test. That hosting company moved to a different datacenter a year +1/2 ago.

Even if my IP was hosting spam services and sending spam, it would belong in the spammers rbl. not the dynamic rbl.

It's clearly non-dynamic. It doesn't belong on a dynamic list.

SORBS DUHL lists both dynamic and static IP addresses. They ignore notifications of listing errors. QED

It should be clear by now.  Don't use SORBS.

Steve