Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 11:11:24AM -0400, John Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:00:03 +0300, Juha-Matti Tapio
> <jmtapio@verkkotelakka.net> wrote:
>
> > c) Sorbs lists IP addresses for low TTL values.
>
> > None of these are true
>
> Clearly they refuse to delist IPs with low TTL values.  Your statement
> is misleading.

no, it's not. he was correcting a clear falsehood uttered by one of the
anti-SORBS crusaders.

SORBS do *NOT* list IP addresses for having a low TTL. it is one of the
criteria they check for DE-listing DUHL IPs, not a criteria for actually
listing them.

> > but I use DUHL personally and my $DAYJOB includes postmaster-duties
>
> One postmaster who favors SORBS.  I suppose there will always be a
> small minority opinion, no matter what the topic.

it's his mail server, he can configure it as he likes. he likes to
prohibit mail coming direct from dynamic/dial-up address space. that's
his right. and, this is the important point, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SAY
AT ALL IN HOW HE CONFIGURES HIS MAIL SERVER(S).

craig

PS: i use the SORBS DUL too. i think it is a valuable anti-spam tool.
i would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wants to
reject spam and viruses during the SMTP session.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)