Re: spam to bogus users

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:44:32 -0700, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
wrote:

> These totally bogus user names are not a good dictionary attack.  I
>> don't know what the spammer is trying to accomplish, since delivery is
>> impossible.  The user portion almost looks like a mail queue message
>> id.

>I often can look up the bogus address and find a Usenet post with the same
>message ID.

That's interesting.

Maybe spammers are harvesting these as email addresses, and selling
them to unsuspecting buyers.  I guess that would be one way to inflate
your list volume.

Five BILLION email addresses, only $99.95.

No, wait, ten BILLION, only $79.95.

No, no, wait!  Twenty BILLION, only $59.95!

Heh.