Re: spam to bogus users

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 16:51 +0100, John Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:01:01 -0700 (PDT), Steve Redlich
> <steve@redlicheng.com> wrote:
>
> >> I get mail delivery attempts to non-existent users like:
>
> >> k2159jcd003343@isp2dial.com
> >> k1mmcsoa007563@isp2dial.com
> >> k1nardpb001747@isp2dial.com
>
> >This is a Joe Job. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job  A spammer is
> >using your domain with the random usernames to send spam to other domains.
>
> >These likely are the bounce messages from domains that queue SPAM before
> >rejecting and don't check SPF records.
>

> <k2159jcd003343@isp2dial.com>... Mail from unknown host
> [221.225.87.212] delivery refused

whois 221.225.87.212

inetnum:      221.224.0.0 - 221.231.255.255
netname:      CHINANET-JS
descr:        CHINANET jiangsu province network
descr:        China Telecom

> <k1mmrlps007599@isp2dial.com>... Mail from unknown host
> [218.63.92.165] delivery refused

whois 218.63.92.165

inetnum:      218.62.128.0 - 218.63.255.255
netname:      CHINANET-YN
descr:        CHINANET yunnan province network
descr:        China Telecom

> <k1nardpb001747@isp2dial.com>... Mail from unknown host
> [218.63.92.165] delivery refused

Im seeing a pattern here. My guess would be lots of compromised hosts
being exploited here. There was an article a few months back about the
number of exploitable hosts in China. I block all China Telecom and CNC
due to the amount of spam that comes out of there. I also block most of
Korea due to the unwillingness to act upon spam/abuse reports.

Shane