Re: spam to bogus users

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:01:01 -0700 (PDT), Steve Redlich
<steve@redlicheng.com> wrote:

>> I get mail delivery attempts to non-existent users like:

>> k2159jcd003343@isp2dial.com
>> k1mmcsoa007563@isp2dial.com
>> k1nardpb001747@isp2dial.com

>This is a Joe Job. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job  A spammer is
>using your domain with the random usernames to send spam to other domains.

>These likely are the bounce messages from domains that queue SPAM before
>rejecting and don't check SPF records.

<k2159jcd003343@isp2dial.com>... Mail from unknown host
[221.225.87.212] delivery refused

<k1mmrlps007599@isp2dial.com>... Mail from unknown host
[218.63.92.165] delivery refused

<k1nardpb001747@isp2dial.com>... Mail from unknown host
[218.63.92.165] delivery refused

If these were bounce messages, they should have an IP address of a
real domain.  But they never do.  They're from hosts which lack DNS,
or occasionally a host listed in a dnsbl.  So it seems more likely
they are client hosts infected with spam malware.

It would make sense if it was a joe job, because otherwise, I see no
point to it.  But how can it be a joe job, since they are not bounces
from real domains?