Re: Sarge SMTP Performance

Hi Lars                                       >@2005.05.22_00:00:03_GMT+0200

> I just replaced my company anti-virus/anti-spam mail gateway from a
> Redhat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.20-24.7smp to Debian Sarge with kernel
> 2.6.8.1-i686-SMP. I
> had hoped that this transition would lead to better performance (new
> version of Perl, better drivers in the kernel and so on) but the performance has
> instead drooped about 30%.
>
> Here is my setup.
>
> Hardware:
> IBM 335 with dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon, 1GB Ram and 1 10.000RPM SCSI disk.

We had similar problems a while ago:

Try the latest 2.6 kernel
Try compiling with High Memory Support on and off
Try upgrade the Bios

in our case for some weird reason when we used High Memory the server was
slow, a bios upgrade solved our problem. (our server is not an ibm and not smp)

hth.

--
Regards
 Joe

  "I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookie win."
     -- C3P0
   frogfoot networks  +27.21.689.3867  www.frogfoot.com