Re: Strange arpwatch message

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:22:35 +0100, Omar Al-Siaghi <alsiaghi@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    The laptop is not on the same network, so it is not using the same IP
> I am watching the syslog from a different network, and it's not the
> gateway?  did that help?
>
> Thanks,

ok, so there are two problems.

1. arpwatch is generating strange syslog messages.
2. You're unable to route outside your network.

On issue #1:
arpwatch: ethernet mismatch 82.150.37.41 0:3:93:d3:c5:6a (0:a:cd:9:73:c) eth2

AFAIK, that only happens when a machine claims or uses an IP that was
in use before.  Did the NIC change?  Is it DHCP?  Does this occur
frequently?

00:03:93:d3:c5:6a is NIC's MAC address for your Powerbook.
00:0a:cd:09:73:0c is the MAC address of the router.

As for the "I've never used my powerbook on that network" - I can't answer that.

I'm lost, you'll have to elaborate on the network topology.  What's
the router IP suppose to be? Is the config sane?  Did you loose power
since it was working?  What's changed?  Can you ping the router IP
(inside+outside)?  Can you ping from the router (inside+outside)?

How are you getting the syslog messages?  I assume arpwatch is running
on some machine on that other network (not local to you, or just not
local to your segment? clearly not the same subnet!)

Now look at us, we both assumed too much.  I guess you know what that
makes us. ;)