Re: Converting a *live* Fedora box to Debian

On Tue, 2005-02-08 15:08:20 +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine <frankie@debian.org>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20050208140820.GH20521@ba.issia.cnr.it>:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 04:42:07AM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> In respect with suggested takeover I found a couple of problems with
> FC3, the very first is that Fedora mkfs.ext3 seems badly compatible with
> debian. The fresh system refuses to start and ask for a more
> recent version of fsck to manage unknown 'extensions'. Then the
> system panics, because the rootfs cannot be mounted. You can

Sounds like the fs wasn't umounted properly and the Debian kernel didn't
have ext3 support compiled in (but ext2 instead). If the fs has data in
it's journal, an incompatibility flag will be set (thus ext2 won't "see"
the inconsistent state that an ext3fs driver of fsck could fix
properly).

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O