Re: Converting a *live* Fedora box to Debian

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 04:42:07AM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> But, before I go much further, does anyone know of any docs on how to do
> this? Or does anybody know of some real deal-killer roadblocks that I'm
> going to run into?

In respect with suggested takeover I found a couple of problems with
FC3, the very first is that Fedora mkfs.ext3 seems badly compatible with
debian. The fresh system refuses to start and ask for a more
recent version of fsck to manage unknown 'extensions'. Then the
system panics, because the rootfs cannot be mounted. You can
work around using a different fs for root (e.g. reiserfs).
The second problem is that base-config crashes at startup in the chroot,
so you need to perform all configurations by hand.

You could probably a better experience with FC2, I don't know. But for
that, a takeover can be easily done on remote too, I do that quite often
using the swap area as initial target fs and moving things after the first
boot. Using lilo helps because you can configure the next-boot label to
be used, just in case.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine