Re: Combining 2 Ethernet NICS -> 1 IP address

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 21:09, Jan Vitek wrote:
[snip]

> I wonder what is the correct 'Debian way' configuration in
> /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> This is my current configuration, it looks rather mad, but without 'up route
> del' I wasn't able to ping 10.2.0.0/24 and without 'post-down ifconfig' were
> both eth1 and eth0 still up after networking stop.

[snip]

What I meant was all the information to get started...

I also had some problems getting the thing to work with debian... (your
milage may be different -- depends on the switch/configuration )
On my switch (Cisco 2948XL) it does not matter if you leave the seperate
net routes (to eth0 and eth1) in place.

My config looks like this:

(excerpt from /etc/network/interfaces)
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.254
        pre-up ifconfig bond0 hw ether `ifconfig eth0 | sed -n
's/.*HWaddr \([^ ]*\)./\1/p'`
        up /usr/sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1 || true
        down /usr/sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1 || true

** the sed quirk is for the warning the bond interface displays during
boot -- and no stanza for eth0 and eth1 **

(excerpt from /etc/modutils/aliases)
alias bond0 bonding
alias eth0 e100
alias eth1 e100
options eth0 e100_speed_duplex=4
options eth1 e100_speed_duplex=4
options bonding miimon=100 mode=0

(excerpt from /etc/modutils/actions)
probeall bond0 eth0 eth1 bonding

One thing to watch when doing this with cisco's is the type of
etherchannel configuration setting.
The channel mode can be set to optimize for sorce or destination
addresses (depends on your type of traffic)

--
JJ van Gorkum                             Knowledge Zone
If UNIX isn't the solution, you've got the wrong problem.