Re: swapon not run at boot with raid drives

Hello Russell

On 21 Jan 2003 at 11:30, Russell Coker wrote:

> There was a bug in 2.2.x kernels which could cause a kernel panic if you
> swaped on a RAID device that was re-syncing.  AFAIK 2.4.x had it fixed long
> ago.  So if you are running a 2.4.x kernel you can just edit the shell script
> in question to remove that check.

> Why not put "swapon -a" in a cron job?

I have done this, protected by an if statement to check if the drives
are busy syncing, it should work, but it is a bit clumsy. It would be
neater to have something which waited until the syncing was finished
and then mounted the swop partitions.

If my swop partitions are not on raid devices, am I vulnerable to the
above bug? (Not that I really want to test this on production
machines).

Thanks

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa