Re: Advice on remote kernel changes?

The best solution here is using serial consoles. This will enable you to
remotely access the bios and lilo boot menu, so you can reboot with an
older kernel when anything goes wrong with your new kernel.

Regards,

Teun Vink
Luna.nl NOC

--
BOFH excuse #196: Me no internet, only janitor, me just wax floors.

I didn't think you could get into BIOS by using serial console support on a regular PC. I know that there is some special hardware that will support it, and some server platforms that support such access (I think that includes the new X Servers from Apple... although BIOS doesn't really apply there), but if you compile console on serial support into the kernel for a regular PC, I wouldn't expect to see anything on the port until, well LILO at the earliest.

Haven't tried any of the above, though. Would appreciate correction if I'm wrong.

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.
2125 1st Ave East