Using system locking with mysqld.

Hi All,

I am in the process of deploying shared storage (SAN) via a external SCSI. Both machines will see the external SCSI raid as a local device (/dev/sda1). I am running various common internet services on there including mysql. I am going to enable the system locking by inserting "enable-locking" in my.cnf.

I just wish to check with you folks that this will prevent data consistency issues due to that fact that each server will be accessing the same data. Will system locking prevent data corruption? Are there any other issues I should be aware of? Only one server will be actively servicing requests at a time, I have them in a heartbeat "failover cluster" configuration sharing the storage so in theory the 2 mysqlds should not interefere with each other but I just wish to be safe.

My platform is MySQL 3.23.49 running on Linux 2.4.20 (on one server) and Linux 2.2.14 on other server, old kernel due to legacy proprietary driver needed (raidzone, not related to external storage). Same MySQL version.

Kind regards, Fred.

--
Fred Clausen - Systems Administrator
Unique Interactive, part of UBC Media Group plc

http://www.ubcmedia.com
http://www.uniqueinteractive.co.uk
T: +44 (0)20 7453 1667 F: +44 (0)20 7486 5081