Re: Free Radius Software

Tomàs Núñez Lirola wrote:
> [....]
> mic:/etc/apt# apt-cache search radiusd-freeradius
> radiusd-freeradius - A high-performance and highly
> configurable RADIUS server
>

> [....]
> tom:/etc/apt# apt-cache search radiusd-freeradius
> tom:/etc/apt# apt-get install radiusd-freeradius
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package radiusd-freeradius
> tom:/etc/apt#
> ____________________________________
>
> Why, if the sources are the same, there is differences with
> freeradius?
> Can't figure out!

It seems like raduisd-freeradius has been dropped from unstable after you
installed it. Searching for radiusd on a sarge machine gives:

proxy:~# apt-cache search radiusd
radiusd-cistron - Radius server written by Cistron.
radiusd-livingston - Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS)
server
xtradius - Free radius server implementation.

No more freeradius... We use it, but compiled directly because I didn't want
to go unstable on production machines.

Apparently freeradius has been removed from the pool for having "grave"-bugs
for longer that 3 months. There was some discussion on linux.debian.devel
which clarifies this issue; here is the google link:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=2003011219
0010%247f19%40gated-at.bofh.it>
Unfortunately, nobody seems to have taken package management since.

Thomas