Re: IDE Hardware RAID-1 at boot time [SOLVED]

Hi,

Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 23:32 2003-02-28 +0100 hat Christoph Loeffler geschrieben:

i want to install debian to server with two IDE 80GB disks on a
Hardware RAID. The Controller is a Promise Fasttrak tx 2000.

??? Hardware Raid ???

This Controler is not a real Hardware RAID. For that use a 2-Channel 3Ware Controller.
My partner got this as a RAID Solution from a local vendor together
with Hot Swap Chassis for the Harddisks.

So, my problem is, who do I get the system booting from
the IDE RAID.

With a Bootfloppy ;-))

It is possible to boot from the IDE RAID Array

I did the following:

- installed an additional IDE harddisk
- installed debian on this disk.
- built the kernel from source
- built the FastTrak.o kernel module driver from source
- built the kernel module driver for NIC from source (which also
  was not recognised)
- put the two modules on a floppy
- uninstalled additional ide
- booted from CD to install debian and loaded the two modules
  with the installer. The IDE Array was recognised as /dev/sda
- created parttions and so on.
- it works

what is still is something that would send an email if
one of the drive fails.

Thank you for the reply, Unfortunatly I didn't have enough time
to write a documentation about it and put it in the web.

Christoph

Die letzten Worte des Sportlehrers?  Alle Speere zu mir!