Re: IDE Hardware RAID-1 at boot time

Hello ,

Am 23:32 2003-02-28 +0100 hat Christoph Loeffler geschrieben:

>Hello,
>
>i want to install debian to server with two IDE 80GB disks on a
>Hardware RAID. The Controller is a Promise Fasttrak tx 2000.

??? Hardware Raid ???

This Controler is not a real Hardware RAID.
For that use a 2-Channel 3Ware Controller.

>The two disks are configured as RAID-1 (mirroring)
>
>It was not possible to install debian directly to the
>disk, because the disks where not found.

Is the Controller bootable ?
I think no.

>At the point, when you start partitioning, there was the message,
>that there were no disks. I have the source of the driver.

Normaly, it is not bootable and the BIOS does not recognize it.

>So, my problem is, who do I get the system booting from
>the IDE RAID.

With a Bootfloppy ;-))

>Or in more general way, what is the way to get such non
>standard hardware to work at installation time. Something
>like comiling the driver, which only possible with kernel
>headers or full sources and then continuing install when
>hardware is accessible.

You use an Add-On Controller which yo can use in additional
to a normal bootable Harddisk or an other boot media.

>Is the documentation about that?
>

>Christoph

Michelle