have I been rooted?

I just ran chkrootkit,and it at one point, indicates that I may have an
LKM rootkit installed on my box (see output below). I then downloaded
and installed sash, and when I run chkrootkit as sashroot, It doesnt
detect anything (also see output below). Which should I believe? Is
there any way to determine if there is indeed a LKM rootkit installed
without downtime (or at least a minimum). This box serves as mailserver
for approximatly 600 users, has no backup or secondary server (all very
bad things, i know, but cash is very, very short) and is administered
remotely, so and taking it down, wiping/reinstalling, is not an option
at this point.

in both instances, /usr/lib/tiger/bin/.bintype is listed as being a
suspicious file, but file (updated by apt, and i assume replaced the
previous binary, just prior to running chkrootkit) indicates that it is
just an ASCII text file:

scrooge:/home/david# file /usr/lib/tiger/bin/.bintype
/usr/lib/tiger/bin/.bintype: ASCII text

and examination of the file shows that it contains the text: Linux
2.2.17

scrooge:/home/david# cat /usr/lib/tiger/bin/.bintype
Linux 2.2.17 2001

I am by no means a security expert, but find the chkrootkit results a
bit disconcerting. Could anyone give me some insight into what may be
going on?

davidc

#-------------------------[chkrootkit output]-----------------------

# results as root (bash):

scrooge:/home/david# chkrootkit
ROOTDIR is `/'
Checking `amd'... not found
Checking `basename'... not infected
Checking `biff'... not infected
Checking `chfn'... not infected
Checking `chsh'... not infected
Checking `cron'... not infected
Checking `date'... not infected
Checking `du'... not infected
Checking `dirname'... not infected
Checking `echo'... not infected
Checking `egrep'... not infected
Checking `env'... not infected
Checking `find'... not infected
Checking `fingerd'... not found
Checking `gpm'... not found
Checking `grep'... not infected
Checking `hdparm'... not found
Checking `su'... not infected
Checking `ifconfig'... not infected
Checking `inetd'... not infected
Checking `inetdconf'... not infected
Checking `identd'... not found
Checking `killall'... not infected
Checking `ldsopreload'... not infected
Checking `login'... not infected
Checking `ls'... not infected
Checking `lsof'... not infected
Checking `mail'... not infected
Checking `mingetty'... not found
Checking `netstat'... not infected
Checking `named'... not infected
Checking `passwd'... not infected
Checking `pidof'... not infected
Checking `pop2'... not found
Checking `pop3'... not found
Checking `ps'... not infected
Checking `pstree'... not infected
Checking `rpcinfo'... not infected
Checking `rlogind'... not found
Checking `rshd'... not found
Checking `slogin'... not infected
Checking `sendmail'... not infected
Checking `sshd'... not infected
Checking `syslogd'... not infected
Checking `tar'... not infected
Checking `tcpd'... not found
Checking `top'... not infected
Checking `telnetd'... not found
Checking `timed'... not found
Checking `traceroute'... not infected
Checking `write'... not infected
Checking `aliens'... no suspect files
Searching for sniffer's logs, it may take a while... nothing found
Searching for HiDrootkit's default dir... nothing found
Searching for t0rn's default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for t0rn's v8 defaults... nothing found
Searching for Lion Worm default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for RSHA's default files and dir... nothing found
Searching for RH-Sharpe's default files... nothing found
Searching for Ambient's rootkit (ark) default files and dirs... nothing
found
Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
/usr/lib/tiger/bin/.bintype

Searching for LPD Worm files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Ramen Worm files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Maniac files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for RK17 files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Ducoci rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Adore Worm... nothing found
Searching for ShitC Worm... nothing found
Searching for Omega Worm... nothing found
Searching for Sadmind/IIS Worm... nothing found
Searching for MonKit... nothing found
Searching for anomalies in shell history files... nothing found
Checking `asp'... not infected
Checking `bindshell'... not infected
Checking `lkm'... You have     1 process hidden for readdir command
You have     1 process hidden for ps command
Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
Checking `rexedcs'... not found
Checking `sniffer'...   eth0 is not promisc eth0:0 is not promisc
Checking `wted'... nothing deleted
Checking `z2'...
nothing deleted

# results as root (sash)

> [...]
Searching for RSHA's default files and dir... nothing found
Searching for RH-Sharpe's default files... nothing found
Searching for Ambient's rootkit (ark) default files and dirs... nothing
found
Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
/usr/lib/tiger/bin/.bintype

Searching for LPD Worm files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Ramen Worm files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Maniac files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for RK17 files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Ducoci rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Adore Worm... nothing found
Searching for ShitC Worm... nothing found
Searching for Omega Worm... nothing found
Searching for Sadmind/IIS Worm... nothing found
Searching for MonKit... nothing found
Searching for anomalies in shell history files... nothing found
Checking `lkm'... nothing detected