Setting up Leased line between win98 and linux server - Is this even possible ?!

Hi all

I am busy setting up a Leased line running from my linux server to a
client's windows 98 laptop but i am having some diificulty getting this to
work .
I have the same setup running between two linux boxes without any problems
so i doubt the problem is with my linux configuration but rather on the
win98
side . I dont have a clue what settings i should be using for the win98
computer though ... so far i've tried using null modem connection .
It seems to connect but then it stays at "Verifying Username and Password"
for about 30 seconds and exits saying that the remote computer did not
respond
to a network request Error 650 .
Below are my linux configs

Thanks in Advance
ANY help or pointers will be greatly appreciated .

I start pppd up with : "pon wan"

/etc/ppp/peers/wan is as follows :
noauth
linkname WAN