Re: Good qmail tutorial

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 16:27, Blake Covarrubias wrote:
> LifeWithQmail.org does have a lot of information about setting up Qmail,
> but there's parts of it that I can't even get working. Here's the output
> of qmail-showctl. You can see below that I'm having some problems.
>

> qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
> user-ext delimiter: -.
> paternalism (in decimal): 2.
> silent concurrency limit: 120.
> subdirectory split: 23.
> user ids: 64010, 64011, 64015, 0, 64016, 64014, 64013, 64012.
> group ids: 65534, 64010.
>
> badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.
>
> bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.
>
> bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is bouncehost.
>
> concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.
>
> concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.
>
> databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.
>
> defaultdomain: (Default.) Default domain name is defaultdomain.
>
> defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is defaulthost.
>
> doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: doublebouncehost.
>
> doublebounceto: (Default.) 2B recipient user: postmaster.
>
> envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is envnoathost.
>
> helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is helohost.
>
> idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is idhost.
>
> localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes localiphost.
>
> locals: (Default.) Messages for me are delivered locally.
>
> me: (Default.) My name is undefined! Uh-oh.
>
> percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.
>
> plusdomain: (Default.) Plus domain name is plusdomain.
>
> qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.
>
> queuelifetime: (Default.) Message lifetime in the queue is 604800
> seconds.
>
> rcpthosts:
> SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at localhost.
>
> morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.
>
> morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.
>
> smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 smtpgreeting.
>
> smtproutes: (Default.) No artificial SMTP routes.
>
> timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.
>
> timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.
>
> timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.
>
> virtualdomains:
> Virtual domain: my.domain.com:my.domain.com
>
> users: I have no idea what this file does.
>
> rcpthosts.bak: I have no idea what this file does.
>
> virtualdomains.bak: I have no idea what this file does.
>
> defaultdelivery: I have no idea what this file does.
>
> concurrencyincoming: I have no idea what this file does.
>

> Search these file names on the qmail tutorial to see what they do.Also,
> here's a warning message I get when starting qmail.
>
> Starting qmail
> svc: warning: unable to control /service/qmail-send/log: file does not
> exist
> svc: warning: unable to control /service/qmail-smtpd/log: file does not
> exist
>

> On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 16:01, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> [...]

This is going (hopefully) to be my last post in this thread. I wanted to
let you guys know that I got qmail working, and it successfully
transfers mail! :D Thanks to all of you who posted links, gave me tips,
yelled at me for not understanding, and so forth. :) I finally got it
running, and I learned something. :) Thanks again guys. ;) See ya
around.