ANNOUNCE: "pyscan" Anti-Virus Filter Software

Hello All

I have put together an antivirus filter for use with Exim.

The filter is written in Python, and it works by examining Mime
headers in e-mail messages. It does not make use of a pattern
database. You could describe it as an upgrade to the antivirus Exim
system filter published on the Exim website. However it has
comprehensive Mime parsing capabilities and features for sending
virus notification to both senders and recipients. It is similar to
the application "mimedefang", but it is not dependent on "procmail"
and works for incoming, outgoing and relayed e-mail.

I have developed on a Debian "woody" server running Exim 3.35.

It has worked well on one of our production servers for over 6
months, handling about 500 mB of mail (over 10000 messages) per day.
I think there may be others who are brave, and interested enough to
want to try it.

So I have published it on my web site at the following URL:

http://www.zsd.co.za/~ian/software/pyscan/

It is free, GPL licence. If there is any significant interest, I will

setup a mailing list for interested users.

Regards

Ian
Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa