Re: UPS sharing

Greetings!

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:47:25 +0200
"Craig" <craigsc@zdata.co.za> wrote:

> I was wondering if its possible to have 2 Debian boxes sharing
> a single UPS ? Its a 650Pro - made by APC.

Depending on the boxes 650 VA might be a bit small/underpowered.
Standard office PCs (no fancy/overclocked CPU or graphics, single HD)
should be okay, heavy servers (multi-CPU, double/triple powersupply,
RAIDs, ...) definitely not. In-between: depends.

Power consumption considerations aside you probably will want to have
your boxes shut down cleanly in case of power failure. One possibility
is to shut down the "slave" via network (see apcupsd docs for this) - or
use multiple serial cables. For this APC recommends one of their
multi-port repeaters. Adventurous people might grab a soldering iron and
try to simply y-cable the signal lines. Beware: this will not work at
all in"smart" signaling mode and is not supported by APC Corp.

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting

--