Re: load balancing

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 09:11, Markus Welsch wrote:
> > Depends on what you want to balance, just TCP/IP traffic, or a specific
> > service (mail/web/etc). For TCP/IP traffic, we use VRRP (Virtual
> > Redundant Router Protocol), which works fine.
>
> What would you recommend if you want to realize load balancing between mail and
> webservers ? (Mail server should also include POP3/IMAP-Server).

I haven't got much experience in load balancing POP or IMAP. The only
thing we do here is that we have multiple POP- and IMAP-proxies which
talk to one server hosting the mailboxes. You could try letting building
multiple mailbox servers, and let the proxies figure out which mailbox
server they need to talk to...

I don't know if there are tools available for this, you might need some
custom made stuff...

Regards,

Teun Vink
Luna.nl NOC