Re: anti virus software for mail server

Markus Welsch wrote:
Hi,

I've found

    RAV Antivirus
    (http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/showproduct.php?p=21)

but I never heard of that one before! From the first view it looks amazing - so if somebody has experience with that one post please! Of course also post your personal recommendations.

As MTA I'm using Postfix 2.0 by the way !

Markus,

I've been using this product for a few months now and must say that the virusscanning part of it is really good. We are running an isp that's serving 500k+ customers and are running RAV on the incoming smtps and relays, you can imagine what amount of mail has to be scanned here. The software still doesn't use a lot of system resources and is quite configurable. We run qmail as MTA and ofcourse Debian as OS.

RAV comes in rpm packages, I've requested that they make native debs and they said they are looking into it. So for now you should use alien to convert. Also you will have to make sure ownership and permissions are set right but that's all documented.

The spamfiltering part of it sux.

Virus definition updates are easily automated.

The pricing is pretty cheap compared to other commercial vendors like McAffee etc. Response on support requests via e-mail is quick.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with it.

grtx, Mark