Re: Routing with Linux

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:01:29PM +0100, Volker Tanger wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:38:08 +0100
> "Uwe A. P. Wuerdinger" <wuerdinger@x-tec.de> wrote:
> >
> > Depens on the harware.
> >   We got 750 mbits on a single box with a 2 channel intel gigabit card
> >   (Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port (64bit/66MHZ PCI) in a Fujits-Siemens
> > PRIMERGY L200 with 2 Intel PIII (1.40 GHZ) and 2 GB SDRAM.
>
> The important fact is the "(64bit/66MHZ PCI)" part - as standard PCI
> (32bit@33MHz) will not transfer much more than 1Gbit/s. So two Gbit/s
> cards on the same Standard PCI bus would only let ~500Mbit/s pass
> (half-duplex). Even the fast+wide PCI barely is just fast enough for a
> full Gbit/s line run full-duplex.

Last time I checked (several months ago), no one made a GigE card fast
enough to actually do 1Gb/s; the best card could do about 425 Mb/s. Has
this changed, or are you arguing theoreticals?

  This disclaimer is priviledged information and may not be read by
  anyone except the intended recipient, whoever that is.  If you are
  not the intended recipient and have read this disclaimer, you are
  naughty and shan't be allowed any pudding.  How can you have any
  pudding if you don't take your meat?