Re: Tayloring Debian Installs

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Thomas Lamy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some days ago I had the task of setting up 6 debian servers for our web
> server farm. It was rather boring to do the base install, alter the apt.conf
> and sources.list (we run a combo of testing/stable), de-select unwanted
> default packages (you know the score...).
>
> I'd like to streamline that task, as there are another 10 servers next month
> that need the same procedure.
>
> In SuSE, it was an easy task, as you could save the state of installed
> packages on a running machine, and inject that at the base install stage, so
> there were only custom packes (and configuration) left.

I don't know how well this may meet your requirements, but I've found that
jablicator does a good job of this for Debian.. It creates a package that
has all the currently installed packages as dependacies, so when you
install it on a new machine, it loads on all the other packages too.

--
Freedom is just chaos with better lighting.