Re: Small Debian Installs

Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2003 02:42 pm, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Just install a small Debian system.
>
> That might be exactly what I want to do (for a different purpose).
<aol>
Me too!
</aol>

> What's the smallest someone on the list has installed, and what's the
> easiest way to go about doing it?
I needed a WLAN Router 3 weeks ago, and didn't want to start with a new
distro (I really like debian).
I did the standard install (basedebs only), and removed portmap, NFS, lpr,
gcc and the like, added only wireless tools and shorewall. That way I
brought it down to ~200 MB (which would fit on a 256 MB CF-Card), and I'm
sure it would be possible to even get under 100 MB (delete /usr/share/doc
etc).

> I'd like to have a small Linux partition on a dos \ Windows disk to
> include a bootloader (lilo) and some utilities for partitioning,
> formatting, and making and restoring disk images.
The german c't magazine included a Knoppix-CD (which is debian-based) some
weeks ago, which basically is a complete "Run From CD" distro. Not small,
but really useful. Not a limited rescue disc, as most/all of the tools one
needs are included.

> I started working with a Vector root / boot set and have made
> progress,
> but I have a lot to learn and many problems remain -- if there is an
> easier way I'd like to try it.
Sorry, I never went that path. Sounds like an adventure, though :-)

> Randy Kramer

Thomas Lamy