Re: Routing with Linux

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 13:16, Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2003 02:41 pm, Burner wrote:
> > load average is about 5Mbyte/s spikes at 10MByte/s, all traffic is
> > webcontent.
>
> That seems to be large volume -- three to seven T1s unless my math is
> off (my coffee hasn't kicked in yet).
>
> I'd almost expect a firewall per T1, or what kind of performance can you
> get out of a Linux box serving as a router??  (Well, it is just within
> the capability of a single 100 mbps Ethernet card, but it's a lot of
> traffic.)

To give some indication: we run a complete ISP backbone based on Debian
boxes running Zebra for routing. This is all done on fairly standard
hardware (usually Pentium III, 256Mb RAM), which can easily handle the
load. Actually, the greater part of the load is caused by SNMP calls and
user interaction. You can see some public statistics of our network on
http://noc.luna.nl. We also have a router connecting  5 T1 lines. It has
been up for over 600 days now, with a load average of about 0.05, also
on very standard hardware.

So I'd say a fairly recent box should be able to handle this amount of
traffic without any problems...

Regards,

Teun Vink
Luna.nl NOC
                               Luna.nl B.V.
Puntegaalstraat 109    Postbus 63000         Tel     :  (010) 750 2000
3024 EB  ROTTERDAM     3002 JA  ROTTERDAM    Fax     :  (010) 750 2002
www.luna.nl            luna@luna.nl          Helpdesk:  (010) 750 2020