Re: Routing with Linux

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 07:16, Peter Hicks wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:42:57PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> >On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:14, Gregory Wood wrote:
[...]
> >> If the volume is higher or you just want a linux box then:
> >> www.linuxrouter.org -- linux router project.
> >
> >LRP is dead and has been for a long time.
>
> I think there is a project offshoot called LEAF
> http://leaf-project.org/

LEAF is active and evolved from the now stagnant LRP project. It is a
collection of various variants and extensions of the original LRP
project. The latest "bearing" variant is based on Debian (Debian trimmed
and re-packaged in lrp packages).

> But I agree that installing a small Debian system is an easy way to
> go.

I recently did this with a 486DX2-66 with 16M RAM and 250M HDD, acting
as a router/firewall for two upstream links (ADSL and modem) to a rather
convoluted network (shorewall rocks). It works fine with no speed/memory
issues, and is rather nice. The biggest problem is dpkg is _sooo sloow_
on a machine that under powered. Is a funny thing when a distro's
package manager is a bigger overhead than the rest of the distro.

If I had to do it again, I would probably take another hard look at
LEAF-bearing.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key