Re: seeking input on rbls and anti-spam measures

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 00:44, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at revamping my mail setup (caveat; I'm not an ISP so
> this is somewhat off topic).  Specifically, I'd like to introduce RBL
> lookups into the mix; connections to port 25 should be compared to
> various RBLs.  So, which RBLs are people using?  Do you drop/reject
> connections or simply flag messages?

dsbl.org and spamcop.net work really well for me. I do both using
messagewall (see further below)

> If I receive a
> connection from an IP I haven't talked to before, I'd like to run a
> quick relay check on that IP.  I don't know whether it would be better
> to temporarily reject mail from that IP (4xx code) or just accept mail
> and hope for the best.  The latter seems easier to code ...

you can look into becoming a dsbl.org contributor and then your tests
will be able to help the rest of the internet as well. dsbl.org has some
already written testing software that you can plug into your spamtrap
accounts, or directly into your mail server.

> Finally, I wonder how to tie this all together.  I currently use qmail
> which lends itself well to schemes where another program accepts the
> incoming connections and hands them off to qmail once the tests have
> been passed.  On the other hand, I'm not totally sold on qmail, I
> don't have a huge installation so converting is not a big deal.

Messagewall (messagewall.org) is designed specifically to sit in front
of qmail and do exactly this. it uses a scoring system to either reject
or tag mail based on rbl matches or message content, and it even comes
pre-configured to use dsbl.org's singlehop open proxy list.

-Fred

--
Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net>
Divided Sky Internet