Re: Software VS Hardware Raid

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:22, Jose Alberto Guzman wrote:
> >Who recommends that you don't use software RAID on the root file system?
> >
> >Not me (lilo maintainer and user of this), not the lilo author, not the
> >software RAID kernel maintainer.
>
>  Sorry, I'm not up to date on the newest features of LILO (it's cool
> that is supports SW/RAID now, btw), I stated this because of what I read
> on the Software-RAID-HOWTO.
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Softw
>are-RAID-HOWTO.html
>
> 'The latest official lilo distribution (Version 21) doesn't handle RAID

Version 21.3 came out about March 2000 according to the Debian changelog,
version 22.1 came out in November 2001.

If the document is referring to version 21.0 then it's seriously out of date.
If it's referring to 21.x then it's simply wrong, I have LILO loading kernels
from software RAID-1 with all versions from 21.6 onward, and it should work
with the Debian version 21.4.3 (which has most of the code for 21.5) as well.

22.1 significantly improves support for software RAID, but it worked long
before then.

> reside on a non-RAID device. A way to ensure that your system boots no
> matter what is, to create similar |/boot| partitions on all drives in
> your RAID, that way the BIOS can always load data from eg. the first

Yes.

> drive available. This requires that you do not boot with a failed disk
> in your system.'

Which won't necessarily work with the most recent LILO because it relies on
the BIOS detecting the disk as bad and skipping it (which may not happen).