Re: Raid 1 + lilo

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:55, I. Forbes wrote:
> > > 1)  has anybody got a 'deb' of the latest lilo, back-ported onto
> > >     potato.  I am looking for one to use on my "stable" machines?
> >
> > http://www.coker.com.au/lilo/
>
> Thanks very much.  It almost looks like you put this together in
> response to my request.

Yes.

> > > 2)  has anybody written a nifty script which can be run by crond to
> > >     read /proc/mdstat and send off e-mail if something is not
> > >     healthy.  I know this can't be too tricky, but any contributions
> > >     to save "re-inventing" the wheel would be appreciated.
> >
> > I think that there's a package in woody for that, I can't seem to find it
> > at the moment though.
>
> I see there is mdctl, as well as mdutils, raidtools2, and raidtools
> available in woody.  All seem to have overlapping functionality and
> only one of them can be installed at a time.
>
> mdctl seems very new and appears to have a "monitoring" function.

That must be what I was thinking of.

> Up to now I have been using raidtools2, this is available in potato
> and woody.  I am cautious to use mdctl as it is very new,
> documentation is a little sparse and it is not available on potato but
> in the long run I guess this will be the preferred utility.
>
> Has anybody had any experience with these tools?

I had a quick look at mdctl, discovered that it is short on documentation, so
much so that I found it difficult to get it to do anything.  Then I
discovered that mkinitrd doesn't support it (which was not a great surprise).
So I'll probably look at it again when mkinitrd supports it.

As long as it conflicts with raidtools2 and I need to have raidtools2
installed to be able to install a kernel and have it boot I can't use mdctl.