Re: redundant mail servers

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 01:28:39PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:14, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
>
> > Please let me know, if I'm heading in the wrong direction. The setup
> > will be for a team with 20 persons, so there won't be too much mail
> > traffic. The only problem is, I won't be reachable for 2 months, and
> > therefore the system should run without the need of a sysadmin.
> > Well, there is another one - I've only 15 days left to set it up.
>
> With only 15 days you don't want something that will take a long time to
> setup.  Also you don't want something overly complex, the more complex the
> more likely it is to break.

That's what I think, too.

> I suggest having a single machine with RAID-1.  Then entire categories of
> potential problems such as issues of accidentally mounting the same
> filesystem on both machines will just disappear.
>
> Why do you need something special for only 20 users anyway?

I'll be in South America for 2 months with only seldom Internet Access.
They know their NT desktops, but not their servers.

So I want a solution, where they can't do too much wrong and I don't
have to worry while being away.

I'm now trying heartbeat and drbd as supposed by Nicolas Bouthors.

On the other hand, in the past 3 years, we had only one hardware failure
(overheated cpu, due to damaged fan), and it's only 2 months...
Perhaps I should leave everything as it is. ;-)

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------