Re: moving mail system from one ISP to another

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:17:09PM +0100, Olivier MACCHIONI wrote:
> >Depending on the MTA you are using there are ways of doing the forwarding,
> >with
> >exim you can add a line to the bottom of the exim.conf file that tells it
> >where
> >to redirect the mail to, its quite well documented in the exim info pages.
> >With postfix you can use the transports file to redirect the mail. Not sure
> >about other MTAs, hope that helps.
>
> Could help a lot... The problem is to retreive the mail which has already
> been delivered to the "old" mailboxes.
>
> I don't know of any good way to do that for a large number of POP accounts
> and heterogenous mail storage systems.
>
> If you have a complete list of login / passwords you can use fetchmail to
> get the mail from the old accounts and send it to the new ones.
>
> If you don't have such a list some tcpflow on port 110 with some filtering
> could give you most of the accounts (hopefully not too many people are on
> vacations and don't check their mails).
>
> Good luck
>
> Olivier

Hrm. Ahh. That's always "fun". Now, If you've got time you could use mutt as
root, open the mailboxes one at a time, tag the whole lot, and bounce them to
the new address... (or the old address if that's now directed else where). Time
consuming, yes. But its the only way I can think of doing it at the moment :/

Best of luck,

--
Brett Parker