Re: moving mail system from one ISP to another

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:24:26PM +0100, alexis bory wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to control the transfert of the mailboxes
> of one of my customers from his old ISP to his
> Mother-Company-Centralized-Corporate-Lotus-Notes.
>
> I wonder if abruptly changing the MX for his domaine
> wouldn't cause any trouble. Is it possible to configure
> a forward in the old MTA before changing the MX ? I
> mean this to avoid trouble during the time all the DNS
> get the rigth record.
>
> If any of you know the place of a good doc about this
> kind of operation...
>
> TIA

Depending on the MTA you are using there are ways of doing the forwarding, with
exim you can add a line to the bottom of the exim.conf file that tells it where
to redirect the mail to, its quite well documented in the exim info pages.
With postfix you can use the transports file to redirect the mail. Not sure
about other MTAs, hope that helps.

Cheers,

--
Brett Parker