Re: user traffic accounting

also sprach Mark Janssen <maniac@maniac.nl> [2002.01.08.1847 +0100]:
> I don't think this will work. I haven't used UML that much yet, but I
> fear that you will not be able to run hundreds of UML's on a single
> machine. You might be able to run 10 maybe 20 virtual linux-es on your
> box, but it has a rather large overhead compared to a real box without
> virtual linux boxes.

quality assurance won't make me run more than 15 clients per machine
anyway. so we'll see. it *does* have a large overhead, but on a test
machine (P5-133, 96Mb), it runs quite quickly actually... i stripped the
UM kernel to the bare minimum...

> Yeah, it's really nice and secure to boot... but is the overhead and
> administrative hassle worth it ??

it's not that much of a hassle actually. most of it was kernel compiles.
now i simply get to play with postfix and bind, which i do anyway...

> Especially if you are going to be running bind9, apache, postfix and
> whatnot in every VM you will be having all those processes in memory all
> the time (without them sharing the memory they would usually do when
> they were running on the same machine (real vs virtual).

valid point. still working on that one...